Time for Clay

Clay is by far my least favorite thing to work on. I hit such a patch of frustration last year- I ended up making a completely uneven sushi set that sort of entirely fell apart, had no imagination, and never even reached the process of glazing. I had nothing to even show of it except for a soy sauce container. I had no idea of how to approach it and hated how non-artistic it felt? Thankfully this year it became a little bit easier for me, but I still dread coming to art because of it. I've decided to make mine based on my grandpa and his hunting/nature hobbies. It was extremely difficult to pick something that would be sculptural enough to entertain me, yet easy enough to prevent my extreme frustration. I did end up actually completing something at least slightly more involved than last year. I chose to make a bowl adorned by deer antlers, and am in the process of making an oddly shaped cup and a plate which I'll figure out the details of later. So far it's much less stressful than last year, but I can't say that until I know that all of my pieces are safely out of the kelm.

No comments:

Post a Comment